Some of you have asked me about the dishes Brooklyn serves at her restaurant in the novella, “Need Me”. Well, look no further! I give you the recipes that I wrote about in the book!
Cajun Grilled Corn on the Cob
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 ears corn with husks
- 2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine, melted
- Prepare grill.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Pull husks back from corn, and scrub silks. Brush butter over corn; sprinkle with spice mixture. Place corn on grill rack; grill 12 minutes or until done, turning occasionally.
- 1/4 C. garlic and herb cheese
- 2 Tbs. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs. sour cream
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- dash of hot sauce
- 2 tsp. parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbs. green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 lb. cooked shrimp, diced, reserving 6 shrimp for garnish
- 6 slices of wheat bread, cut in half diagonally
In a medium sized bowl, combine cheese, mayo, sour cream, lemon juice and hot sauce. Stir in parsley, green onions and Old Bay Seasoning. Fold in diced shrimp. Cut 6 shrimp in half length wise and reserve for garnish. Place bread slices on a baking sheet. Broil until lightly browned- watch carefully, as it will only take a minute or two. Remove from oven and flip bread slices over. Place back under broiler for about 30 seconds. Just when they start to toast, remove from oven. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of shrimp filling over each toast. Place back under broiler, watching carefully, and cook for about 5 minutes or just until filling is heated through and toast edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and top each toast half with a shrimp half. Serve immediately or at room temperature. Enjoy!
Pummelo Shrimp Cocktail
- 20 Sunkist® fresh pummelo segments*
- 1 C. Sunkist® freshly squeezed pummelo juice
- 20 jumbo boiled shrimp
- 1 Tbs. shallots, chopped
- 2 Tbs. fresh sage leaves, chopped
- *If pummelo segments are very large, use only 10 segments and cut in half to make 20 pieces. (Sunkist fresh grapefruit may be substituted if pummelos are not in season)
Combine Sunkist pummelo segments, Sunkist pummelo juice, boiled shrimp, shallots and chopped sage in a zip top plastic bag, making sure marinade ingredients are distributed evenly. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 – 2 hours. Place shredded lettuce in bottom of a shrimp cocktail or margarita glass. Remove 5 shrimp and 5 pummelo segments from marinade, drain. Place shrimp and pummelo segments around edge of glass, alternating the shrimp and pummelo. Ready to serve.